Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Starting over

WIFYR is coming so I've got about five months to get something ready to e workshopped.

I've recently explored the plotter vs. writing from the seat of your pants debate. "Pantsing" has been my traditional style of writing, but of late, I'm leaning more toward planning out where the novel is going to go. Thanks in part to KM Weiland. She has a blog with spots about various aspects of writing and a book Outlining Your Novel.

Weiland spends several months plotting out her stories before she begins to write them. As I'm short on time, I'll do the same adjustment I did for my NaNoWriMo work: follow her suggestions but in a more accelerated manner.

Fortunately for me, the thing is done, has been done, and has been put away for awhile waiting for a chance to see light of day. That was written back in my "pantser" days. Now that I have a better idea of how to structure a novel, the main section that needs that needs repair is the opening, the Act I. Once I set my character arcs and story arc in motion, the rest of it should require only minor tweaking. 

Hopefully.


No comments:

Post a Comment